Historic Review Board
Special Notice – Historic Review Board:
The HRB Virtual Public Hearing and Business Meeting Agenda for April 21, 2020 indicated that the following applications would be heard at the June 16, 2020 Historic Review Board Public Hearing:
Application 2019-02592: 2203 Audubon Trail and Application 2019-0554-S: 2203 Audubon Trail
Please note that these applications were heard at the May 19, 2020 Historic Review Board Virtual Public Hearing. The Historic Review Board will deliberate on these applications at the June 2, 2020 Virtual Business Meeting starting at 4pm. The June 2, 2020 Agenda may be viewed at: https://www.newcastlede.gov/AgendaCenter
Information Regarding Virtual Public Meetings and Hearings:
In accordance with Governor Carney’s Declaration of a State of Emergency, the Department of Land Use is now holding all public hearings and meetings in a "virtual" format as a telephone and video conference, utilizing Zoom Meetings. Members of the public wishing to join any Land Use Board public hearing or other public meeting may do so by utilizing a link or phone number(s) and the appropriate Zoom meeting ID. This information will be specified on the appropriate *Public Hearing/Meeting Agenda no less than two (2) business days prior to the scheduled hearing date. *NOTE: Up-to-date public hearing agendas including Zoom meeting log-in information are available in our Agenda Center or through the Scheduled Meeting links below.
Additional information regarding Virtual Public Meetings may be found at: Virtual Meetings-Land-Use
Note for Applicants only:
Applicants must submit presentation materials electronically to the Department of Land Use no less than five (5) business days prior to the scheduled public hearing. Please email us with any questions.
The Department of Land Use is now accepting use permit applications for Temporary Outdoor Seating for food and drink establishments. Read on...
*UPDATE: Effective 12noon on Thursday, April 2, 2020, the New Castle County Government Center will be closed to the public. Read on...
Regular Meetings (Public Hearings)
- 5 p.m.
- Business meetings held the first Tuesday of the month
- Public hearings held the third Tuesday of the month
- Note: dates, times and/or locations of meetings and hearings are subject to change.
- New Castle County Government Center
87 Read’s Way
New Castle, DE 19720
- Barbara E. Benson, PhD, Chair
- Karen Anderson, AIA, LEED BD+C
- John T. Brook, Esq.
- John R. Davis, PE
- Stephen L. Johns, PE, PLS
- Paresh (Perry) Patel, MBA, CHA
- Barbara H. Silber, MA, RPA
- Rafael X. Zahralddin-Aravena, Esq.
- One vacancy
The Historic Review Board makes recommendations and delineations for historic district boundaries, maintains a survey of historic properties, and reviews permits relative to historic properties. For the exact language defining the board’s responsibilities, please see Section 40.30.330 of the Unified Development Code. Members are appointed by the county executive and County Council.
- UDC articles 30, 15, 31
- IBC - Sections dealing with demolition and historic structures and permits for historic structures
- Certification agreement between the State of Delaware and New Castle County, effective September 16, 1986, conferring on the County Certified Local Government Status
- Guidelines for implementation of a certified local government program in Delaware
For more information on Historic Preservation, visit our Historic Planning page.