PLEASE NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 restrictions currently in place, the due date for the "Senior School Property Tax Credit Application" for 2020 has been extended to 6/1/2020.
New Castle County Executive Meyer to support emergency tax relief ordinances for residents
On March 31, 2020, New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer announced that he will support a slate of emergency ordinances that will help ease the financial burden on New Castle County residents through the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic. County Executive Meyer will also waive certain fines and fees through County Executive administrative powers. The emergency ordinance is expected to go into effect immediately.
“We’re all searching ways to do our part,” said County Executive Meyer. “I am happy to support these emergency ordinances as well as enact the executive orders to help some of our taxpayers in a challenging time.”
The fines and fees suspended through the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic enacted by the emergency ordinances include:
- Suspension of monthly penalty charges on unpaid sewer fees for residential accounts only
- Waiving returned check fees
- Waiving any library fines and fees
- Suspending collections of county accommodations tax
- Waiving any fees for building permits for signs
“I am happy we could come together and offer New Castle County residents this little bit of relief during this difficult time,” said District 11 County Councilman David Tackett. “I look forward to working with my Council colleagues and County Executive Meyer to find other ways we can help unburden our citizens in this time of uncertainty.”
The County Executive, through executive order, will waive the following taxes and fees:
- Waiving Maintenance Corporation Billing Service fees
- Waive credit card fees for all tax and sewer payments made for so long as the state emergency declaration is in place
The executive order will also suspend Sheriff sales for so long as the state emergency declaration is in place.
Questions about your tax bill?
Many questions you may have regarding your property tax bill can be answered by clicking here. It opens a sample tax bill with detailed explanations about various parts of the bill. PLEASE NOTE: for best results, use Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
If you have additional questions, our customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. by calling 302-323-2600.
Check Your Payment Status
Taxpayers can access their property tax information and payment status online. Property owners who misplace or who do not receive their bills can download a printable version via the site, which also provides detailed account information including payment history and a breakout of specific charges for property, school, light, & crossing guard taxes. If your tax bills are paid by a mortgage company or bank, you are still responsible to make sure the bill is paid.
Methods of Payment
- Walk-in payments are accepted at the New Castle County Government Center, located at 87 Reads Way in New Castle. Payments by cash, check, money order, and debit card are accepted. The payment window is open between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- A drop box is also available for making check and money order payments 24 hours a day at the main entrance of the New Castle County Government Center.
- If you lose or misplace the self-addressed envelope that was sent with the bills, you can mail your payment to:
(PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW MAILING ADDRESS EFFECTIVE MAY 1, 2019)
New Castle County
P.O. Box 782888
Philadelphia, PA 19178-2888
- The address above is an electronic payment processor. DO NOT postdate your check, as it will not affect the processing date. Your check will be processed when received. Please sign your check as well. If you pay your bill through your online banking application, please be sure to update our mailing address.
CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS
- Major credit cards are accepted through Paymentus, a third-party company that accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and electronic check. You can pay your property and/or school tax online by clicking here, or by calling Paymentus toll-free at 877-225-7351. Paymentus charges users a service fee equal to 2.5% of the total payment. If you have any questions concerning making payments through Paymentus, you may call their Customer Contact Center at 800-420-1663.
The 2020 tax billing statements will be mailed the third week of July 2020. If you have not received your bill by August 7, 2020, call the New Castle County billing information line at 302-323-2600.
Both New Castle County and local school property taxes will be due Wednesday, September 30, 2020. Any balances that remain on accounts as of October 1, 2020 are subject to a 6% penalty on County line items, a 5% penalty on school line items, and a 1% penalty for all line items each month thereafter.
Take a look at important tax dates (PDF) for more information.
Pre-Payment of Property Taxes
In an effort to assist customers in managing the amount of their annual property tax bill amounts, New Castle County allows you to pay on your account in advance.
Any advance payment made will post to your account as a credit and apply to the next bill generated on your account. The County accepts “pre-payments” by all accepted payment types listed in the above “Methods of Payment” section.
You may also choose to make pre-payments through an online payment service, possibly through your bank. If you choose to make payments to us in this manner, you will need to have your account number (for property tax bills, this is referred to as your “parcel number”), and our name and mailing address for payments.
You may get your account/parcel number from your bill or from our website. You may search for your account/parcel number on our website with your property address.
Mailing address (For a PROPERTY TAX payment):
New Castle County
P.O. Box 782888
Philadelphia, PA 19178-2888
Monthly Installment Option
If your account is in good standing (no delinquent balance owed) and you wish to pre-pay your property taxes in lower monthly installments rather than one lump sum, New Castle County now offers this convenient option. Pre-payments can be made either by automatic debit through your checking or savings account, or by mailing in monthly payments by check. Click here for more information.
Refund of Tax or Sewer Charges Paid in Error
If you believe you paid New Castle County property tax or sewer service fees in error, you can request a refund by completing this form (PDF). Download the form, complete it, save it to your computer, and then email it to: email@example.com
View the current residential and commercial tax rates (PDF) for the 2019 - 2020 tax year.